Frequently Asked Questions
Who is Hay Creek Heritage Farms?
- We are a small farm in Pinckney, Michigan owned and operated by farmers Nate and Nicole, a husband and wife team. We lease additional land in Chelsea, Michigan. All of our produce and flowers are certified organic by OEFFA. We focus on heirloom vegetables and raise heritage breed livestock with care. We sell our products through our CSA, at Eastern Market in Detroit, and at Agricole in Chelsea.
What is a CSA?
- CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture. CSA members
support the farm by paying for shares in advance,
and in return, receive certified organic, locally grown, seasonal produce each week. Your advance payment allows us to purchase seed, soil amendments and other supplies to start the growing season. CSA members support small farmers and a local business in their community.
How does the CSA share pickup work?
- Arrive at your designated pickup location during the specified day/time range.
- Find our table! Shares will be set up in baskets. If you’ve customized your share or added products (eggs, for example) to your pickup via our online system, your share will be labeled with your name.
- At your first pickup, we'll provide a reusable insulated tote bag for new members (returning members – bring your Hay Creek bag!). Find your basket and pack up your bag. We'll be around to help and answer questions.
- Enjoy your produce during the week. We love to see how you use our products! Post pictures to our Facebook page or tag @haycreekheritagefarms on your Instagram photos.
- Bring your empty tote bag back to each weekly pickup and we'll fill it up again
What if I'm unable to pick up my share on a given week?
- If you will be out of town or otherwise unable to pick up your share at the regular time and location, there are two options:
- Have a friend pick up for you. Just let us know someone else will be picking up your share.
- Log in to the system to change to one of our other regularly scheduled CSA drop locations. We are unable to accommodate last minute changes to share pickups.
- If neither of the above options work and you elect to skip a week, please notify us so we do not pick vegetables for your share that week.
- If you miss your regularly scheduled pick up time and have not communicated with us ahead of time, you forfeit that week's share.
- We are unable to accommodate late share pickups; please plan to arrive in the time frame specified for your drop location. Our CSA hosts are business owners who allow us to use their space as a pickup location for a specific time range. Out of respect for their time and work, we cannot ask them to hold shares or manage pickups.
What about holidays?
- Shares are delivered as scheduled throughout the season, including holiday weeks. If you are planning to be away, please make arrangements for a friend to pick up your share or change to one of our other pickup locations, by logging in to the system and making changes prior to the order deadline.
What can I expect in my share each week?
- Members receive 5 varieties of produce each week. Share contents are based on what is in season.
- Depending on each week's harvest, not all CSA shares will contain exactly the same mix of produce.
- Login to the site each week to see what’s in your share. If available, we will list items that members can swap out to customize your share. Swap items are available on a first come, first served basis.
- To add items like eggs or soap (when available) to your share, log in to the system each week.
- We'll share recipe ideas for share contents each week. Please ask us if you're not sure how to prepare any of the items you get. Share your recipe ideas with us as well!
I signed up for the cut flower option. When will I receive flowers?
- Flower share members will receive 8 bouquets throughout the season.
- You may not receive bouquets for consecutive weeks, depending on weather, numbers of flowers/varieties in bloom during a given week, and other factors, but we will deliver the total amount through the season.
- Members at other locations may receive bouquets on a week that your location does not. Depending on flower availability, we may alternate bouquet delivery locations. Over the season, you will receive the full amount (8) of bouquets.
- Just as with produce, if you miss your regularly scheduled pick up time on a week we have flowers and have not communicated with us ahead of time, you forfeit that week's flower share.
How can I keep up on Hay Creek Heritage Farms events, activities and news?
- We'll email with updates and reminders.Our emails will come from firstname.lastname@example.org. Add us to your contacts or safe senders list to be sure you receive emails.
- Like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram to see pictures of the farm and find out more.
- Feel free to email us with questions at anytime.